Archive | Weaving RSS feed for this section

A Week of Weaving

1 Mar

loom

It’s been a fun and busy week. I spent lots of time at the loom this week, working on the Spectrum rug.

loom 2

I’m moving through a color sequence from maroon to purple to pink to red to spice to orange, and next, onto yellow.

dye bath

Lots of dyeing has been happening…

socks

…and I’m working on a new sock design to which Rufus has taken a shine. I can’t wait to wear these!

Weaving a Rug

25 Feb

warp threads

I’m working on a project that’s been a couple of years in the planning.

spectrum rug

It’s a simple woven rug with a color progression from gold to orange to russet to red to fuchsia and purple.

I’m using a ton of stash yarn in this project, including some of the very first yarn I spun.
first yarn

I’m also getting to use up some very special bulky yarn made from the recycled thrums of other weaving projects.recycled yarn

This project is going along really quick, and I can’t wait to see what it looks like on the floor.

Moved and Settled

8 Jun

As I mentioned in my last post, I just changed apartments. All the boxes are unpacked, things are generally where they belong, and the process of settling in is progressing. It’s taking longer than I’d like, but hey, that’s par for the course. When I can find the light switches in the dark by feel, I know I’m properly nested. Not quite there yet… soon.

My least favorite part of moving (and there are so many unpleasant parts to choose from!) is disassembling and reassembling the loom. It’s a huge pain in the behind, and requires finishing whatever I was working on.

This time I finished a whole three days early! Last move, it was the night before, and before our move to China, the project wasn’t done and I had to cut off an unfinished warp with scissors. There were tears. Lots of tears.

My process for loom-moving is pretty simple. I break the loom down, and ¬†tape all the moving parts together with masking tape to make things easy for the movers. ¬†They then decide (in their infinite wisdom) to break it further before they realize they can’t. They then put it back together incorrectly, and don’t leave me a note explaining what they did.

In any case, the loom is now back in one piece and I’m winding on my next project, which will be bird’s eye. These photos are fabric for two blankets, two lengths for pillows, some pot holders, and about six yards of funky twill to make a pull-over hoodie.