Pomegranates and Coats

27 Sep

The 6.5 yards of coat fabric finally came off the loom! It’s been felted, ironed, and passed to a tailor for sewing. I just didn’t want to risk trying to sew it myself. It’s shown here drying and providing a lovely backdrop to the weekend’s other big project – breaking down 14 pomegranates to make pomegranate jelly.

The color is not the usual deep, deep red because I used white pomegranates this year. They seem to be sweeter than the “Wonderful” varietal I’ve used in the past, or they may have just been more ripe.

Here’s an inside view of one of the poms. The outside peel is yellow with a pink blush. The ones I used were quite beat-up on the outside, but they worked out just fine.

14 pomegranates yielded 3 pints of jelly. It’s a lot of work for a small yield, but totally worth it.